Jönköping University

Friday, November 26, 2010

A Swedish Thanksgiving

Spending time with my "overseas" family was a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving, even though I miss family/friends/old traditions back home. But hey, I'm in Sweden, so I had to do something different. There was about 13 of us, and we all made something different, something that represented our culture, and combined them for one awesome dinner. Shots of Jager from Boris, the German, started it off.....then we had my green bean casserole (turned out excellent!), Chili from Tyler and his friend, Salad, sausage and a typical cake from Slovenia, Quiche from the Dutch girls, Ratatouille and some wine from the French, Goulash soup from the Hungarian, and finally Tiramisu from the Italians...Translated, tiramisu literally means "pull me up"....which I heard the story at least 3 times while eating. Overall it was a great meal, but would have been better if we had more room to maneuver. 13 people jammed in a tight corridor was tough.

If you are wondering why the facebook event for this was called "First Annual Marc Sucks Feast in Sweden," you can blame Tyler, the Canadian roommate, lol. He didn't want to call it Thanksgiving because in Canada, its in October. So after I made him an administrator for the event to invite more people, and he hijacked it.....removing me as an admin., changing the picture and posting "I've got the Power" on my wall. We had a good laugh.

Australian culture day was on Wednesday, and was fun hanging out in the Student Haus. After trying some Australian snacks, we went outside in the snow and kicked the football around (Australian football, that is). One of the Sarah's from Australia that I talked to said that this was an accurate representation of Australian people....if thats the case, then I would like to visit Aussies in their home territory one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment