Jönköping University

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holiday Season

The snow keeps falling, the weather keeps getting colder (last night it was -10 Celsius)....but despite this I am still really enjoying the Swedish winter. There is a Christmas market going on now that is literally a 3 minute walk away, so today I went around explored and took some pictures. It was pretty cool seeing how the Swedes celebrate the Christmas holiday, with a lot of food, candy, sweets, singing, etc. There was a stage set up that had people caroling and also some teenage girls that put on a "dance performance." I sampled this drink called Glögg, which is a Swedish drink that only comes out around christmas time - http://www.saunalahti.fi/~marian1/gourmet/xmas11.htm. The fire department was there, and did a rescue simulation. I am like a half kilometer away, and I hear this "YYYAAAAAA" then a loud SPLASH. I feel bad for that volunteer who had to jump in the lake to be "rescued", because unless you paid me at least 500,000 SEK, I am not jumping in that ice bucket.

Tyler's friend Matt is visiting from Canada, and he's a pretty cool guy. Likes to drink as much as Tyler, and today they are drinking for a straight 24 hours. I am not participating in this because I have to study for my Swedish exam this friday. If I don't pass this class, I will not meet the requirements for my International Engineering minor. Pressure's on!

I bought my ticket to the Goodbye Dinner for this Wednesday, and I am predicting it to be a sad night. This will be the official goodbye, because some students will leave to go back home right after finals. Also I've noticed that where exchange students live has a big affect on their experience in Sweden. Cliques have formed, and people even have names for their accommodation. For example, Vilhelmsro calls themselves "VCrew," and one guy even got a tattoo of their "logo." The people in Furan used the Superman logo and put an F instead of an S. Observing this, we in delta had to come up with a cool name too and came up with "Delta Force." If you check out my Tallinn pics you will see that we put our logo on the back of our white t-shirts. People living in Bäckadal think they are the funnest group. They are fun and awesome people, but not very diverse (mostly French).

For me, living in Delta has been the best experience for me. We are not just really close friends, but more like a family....even fight like one (Friday night there was a big argument about Josete being too loud, was intense at the time but the next day we all made up). Whenver I am at the University or at a night club, I talk to everyone, but when I come home, its nice to have their company. Okay, that is my Delta speech, hope you liked it. :)

Finally, check out the picture of the university on this blog page. Together the Engineering School and JIBS (Jonkoping International Business School) are shaped like a key...symbolizing that the university is the "key to the city."

No comments:

Post a Comment